Mountainside is one of the few veterinary
hospitals in Maryland that offer CO2 laser surgery
for all of our patients.
What is Laser?
The CO2 laser delivers a concentrated
beam of light (at a specific wave length) which
is highly absorbed in soft tissue. The laser
is a cutting tool for the surgeon instead of a
What are the Advantages?
- The laser can "cut" tissue much more precisely than
a steel scalpel (pinpoint accuracy).
- The laser seals off small blood vessels while
it is cutting, which makes it ideal for "bloodless"
surgery and decreases bleeding and seepage after
- The laser seals off nerve endings so there is
much less post operative pain for the patient.
We are very concerned about pain management at
Mountainside and the laser is wonderful at decreasing
any post-op pain.
- There is less post-op tissue swelling when the
laser is used versus standard techniques.
- Less anesthesia may be required.
- Minimal scar tissue is formed post operatively.
- The risk of infection is reduced as the laser
sterilizes tissues as it cuts.
The many advantages of this surgical instrument have
made the laser the most used piece of equipment in
Fell free to ask the doctors, technicians, and receptionists
any questions you may have regarding laser surgery.
Back to Services